Crunchy Chicken with
Rice Krispie Coating
Crunchy, dismayingly moreish and without any obvious connection to breakfast cereal, these chicken pieces are almost too much of a winner for me because, it cannot be denied, they are fried. But every now and again, we can, can't we? I love the fact there doesn't have to be any of that tedious dipping in flour, egg and breadcrumbs and the buttermilk makes the chicken soft and succulent.
• 400g chicken breasts cut into thick, chunky fingers
• 184ml buttermilk
• 150g (approx) Rice Krispies
• Salt and pepper
• Sunflower oil for frying
- • Put the buttermilk into a bowl, add the chicken pieces and make sure they are completely coated in the buttermilk. Cover and leave in the fridge for as long as possible, preferably over night.
• Lift the chicken out of the buttermilk and spread out on a large plate. Season each piece on both sides.
• Put the rice krispies into a bowl and lightly crush with the end of a rolling pin; don't overdo it, you want quite a coarse texture
• Coat each piece of chicken in the rice krispies
• Shallow fry in oil about 1 cm deep approximately 2 minutes each side or until golden, crisp and cooked through.
• Drain on kitchen paper if necessary and sprinkle lightly with flaky sea salt.
Click for more quick and easy chicken recipes